Friday, June 27, 2008

Flower Painting - day one





It is not easy to be creative when I feel crummy, so I have not done much. But at Open Studio yesterday, I did pull out some photos of this really unique, unusual plant that I saw at the American Orchid Society's greenhouse in Del Ray Beach FL. It was huge, it was a wonderful deep purple and has the funkiest runners - not sure what function they have in nature, but they look cool. Still trying to decide how to compose a painting that really shows off the beauty and uniqueness of the plant.






So after sketching for an hour, I decided to try a watercolor to see how this composition would work. So I laid out the sketch of the plant, blocked in some base colors for it and decided it needed a dark background. So this is the beginning.

No comments: