Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Meet Bob

Meet Bob. I met Bob the other evening when I was sitting in traffic. Living here in the low country, I see as many egrets in the wild as I do robins, if not more. He was in the ditch on the side of the road munching on something... bugs, crayfish, chameleons... he was having a feast bobbing his head up and down. He sort of noticed me watching him, but was used to traffic and didn't get distracted.

The sun was setting and I guess his dinner was done, so he swooped up into the air. He was framed in the side window of my car and I was thinking - what a great composition! It was a strong diagonal and an 'x' shape. The sun was just beginning to set and his white feathers were iradescent and reflected the colors from the sunset and all around. He didn't appear white anymore, more like a flying rainbow.

Of course traffic began to move, so I did a quickie thumbnail (which I cannot find anymore) but the image was stuck in my brain and I had to get it onto canvas. So it is not literal, but the reaction I had to my encounter.

It almost looked as if Bob was giving me the thumbs up or a small wave as he flew into the trees.

Thanks Bob! The painting is not quite done, but I really like how it is turning out.

Artist Jackie

No comments: