Part 2 of Demo - See earlier post for part 1
Last week I painted the background and streaked the glass. Today I painted the window sill and blocked in the pot.
I used a limited palette of white, ultramarine blue (same as the window), yellow ochre and burnt sienna.
I mixed blue and burnt sienna to make a gray and used that for the shadow areas on the sill. I used a ruler to sketch in the lines in chalk. I also used the ruler to guide the brush to get straight lines. I wipe the ruler off after each stroke. I used a mix of white, yellow ochre and burnt sienna to make a golden beige for the sill, slightly changing the mix for each of the strips. I used the gray mix to put the shadow under the pot. I used white to give a strong highlight on the top of the sill.
I blocked in the pot with similar mixes. I used more burnt sienna to give a kraft paper/terra-cotta look to the pot. I used the gray mix for the shadow side. I used just white and yellow ochre for the highlight side. I wet my brush slightly more with just a touch of water to help blend all the colors in the pot. I also put a few strokes of blue and straight burnt sienna in the pot for some variety.
Demo will be continued next week in class.